Yes, the official Earth Day was Wednesday, April 22. We’re just being very intentional and making the day accessible to working parents and their children, farmers and out-of-town visitors.  Below are the details. See you there! [su_divider top=”no”] Floyd Virginia Earth Day Celebration on Saturday, May 2, 2015, at the Floyd EcoVillage on Franklin Pike. This is a FREE, FUN educational event. Guest speaker from Mother Earth News to describe tips on growing ginseng. Eco activities for children. Free local tree seedlings. Local ecological …

Earth Day on Floyd Time Read more »

This will be the third year that SustainFloyd has had a role to play with visiting students from Saint Joseph’s University in Philadelphia. It will be the first year I have been involved with VolunTours, and I am looking forward to it, and envious of the week-long experience that these 25 young people will have after they arrive at the Ecovillage tomorrow. I’ll have a part in their orientation after dinner on Saturday, and then we will spend three hours together in Celebration Hall …

Voluntouring Students Find Floyd VA Read more »

We just celebrated, at Thanksgiving, our fifteenth year of living in the Floyd County outback. We are isolated, sequestered, cloistered in this deep valley and there is good in that separation and solitude. Humans need and seek out just this kind of apartness when they must think completely and clearly and when they feel the urgency to stay connected to home ground of self and soil. And yet, as I’ve put on pages over the years, we are social animals. The blog was an …

Committees. Commitment. Community: Common Unity. Read more »

As it turns out, this very Amanita mushroom (about two weeks more mature this morning than it appears in this peak-of-life image) will be the subject of the children’s sermonette this morning because Ann last week said she’d do it. And this is how that works out, predictably delegated away. Nuff said. I’ll talk briefly about simile and metaphor. These are some of the ways the Bible tells stories to help us understand. I’ll give a few examples. Jesus said “I am the bread, …

The Parts We Don’t See Read more »

Last night’s gathering at the Floyd EcoVillage Celebration Hall was a confluence in time and space of so many people who care about and are willing to act on behalf of this special landscape. The notion that Floyd’s water is the fluid foundation for both agriculture and human culture in this county has been bubbling to the surface now for a decade. Last night was the high-water mark, to be sure–the culmination of more than a year of work and planning. Congrats to all who …

Watershed Moment Read more »