Doug Thompson, as some of you know from FaceBook, has been moved out of neuro-intensive care — although he is still on the neuro floor. He is no longer on the feeding tube, and is able to eat thickened liquids. He is no longer on the respirator and able to breathe more or less normally, though still at risk of pneumonia and on IV antibiotics. He is no longer on IV pain meds but remains on swallowed pain meds. Today I came in as …

Let Doug Be Doug Read more »

Alert! Top Tomato Contest in Floyd this weekend at The Community Market at the Station. Click the image for larger version of the poster. Get your maters ready. Alert! For the first time today, the SustainFloyd Refrigerated Truck will be stationed in the community–today and for the next 6 Wendesdays at Check Elementary on 221 toward Roanoke; and on Saturdays (I think also 3 to 6) at the Willis Mart area on 221 toward Hillsville. And for those who want more or those who …

HomeGrown in Floyd Read more »

We’re expecting (maybe) a good soaking rain on Friday, then a cool, fall-like day for the Market Breakfast in Floyd. Good food, old and new friends, the smell of Red Rooster coffee and autumn in the air! What’s not to like? Hope to see you there. And don’t forget to visit the MEMBERSHIP table. You may have been a SustainFloyd supporter, and donated time, money or ideas over the past couple of years. But only for the past month, SF has become a membership …

To Market To Market Read more »

Before I forget, and you might have already done the same: Join us tomorrow night, February 25, at the Floyd Country Store for a soup and bread dinner (for donations) and the movie ($5) Forks Over Knives.  Find out more here. Movie starts at 7:00, come sooner for soup! The last two movies were meteorologically threatened, Economics of Happiness by a snow that started during the movie, and BUCK by ferocious winds and sub-zero chill factors. None of that seems likely for this movie, so …

Forks Over Knives: Soup and No Snow (this time) Read more »

I’m very much looking forward to special opportunity to share my photography and writing with a receptive audience in Danville on Wednesday, October 19. This will be my 2nd visit to the Wednesday cCub——a women’s organization that has a long history and a large and active body of members. My first engagement was in October 2007, and I offered then what I called a “visual essay” consisting of the reading of three essays (on relationship to place, children and nature, and natural history) and …

Oct 19: Speaking at The Wednesday Club Read more »