What will it mean to shift from JUST IN TIME commerce to living well from what can be produced in a sustainable way within the local reach of a community like Floyd?
Here are some component “building blocks.” They are elaborated upon at livingeconomies.com and many are being discussed as areas of future focus by SustainFloyd, Partnership for Floyd, and other civic organizations. This movement ahead is encouraging, and will be part of the discussion on April 16 at the “Land’s Sake” event at Floyd High School.
* Sustainable agriculture
* Renewable energy and energy efficiency
* Local zero-waste manufacturing
* Independent retail
* Green building
* Community capital
* Local and/or fair trade clothing
* Independent media and communications
* Business development/professional services
* Health and wellness
* Arts and culture
- Report: “Buy Local” Campaigns Help Independent Businesses (ecopolitology.org)
- Trudy Thompson’s innovation: sustainable-living centre (guardian.co.uk)